But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.Acts 1:8
The call to be a disciple is the call to walk as Jesus walked, and He could not have been more clear in passing on the instruction to take the good news of the kingdom of God into all creation. Therefore we want to incorporate outreach — activities outside the classroom, as a core component of what we do. Each Thursday we will take time, whether it’s the afternoon locally or the entire day in Winnipeg once a month — to get outside of our comfort zones and allow the Lord to work through us to impact others.
What does outreach look like?
- Firstly, we emphasize involvement in our local churches. We want our students to be involved in serving in their local church in some capacity while at GMDS to maintain those connections.
- Local outreaches: While these will to some degree depend on the unique giftings and passions of each class of GMDS students, these will include opportunities for evangelism, prayer walking, praying for the sick, and service here in the Pembina Valley Region. We want to get out of our comfort zones and learn how to walk out the culture of the kingdom of God here at home.
- Downtown Winnipeg: Within a 90 minute of drive of Winkler, the need for the power of God to move is obvious. We will do some street ministry in partnership with ministries in Winnipeg, and also want to connect and partner with downtown ministries in Winnipeg including Union Gospel Mission, Living Bible Explorers (youth and children’s ministry) and others as doors open. God loves to show up in power in the midst of those who most realize their need for Him, and we are expecting God to do some powerful things not only in the lives of some of the most hurting people in our province, but in our own hearts as well as we minister among them.
- Mission Trip: Our hope for the 2021-2022 school year is to travel to The Pas, MB, and serve ministries there in a variety of capacities.
- Churches/Youth Groups: As opportunities arise we want to share what God is doing with churches and youth groups.